top of page

Your donation ensures that we continue to provide help and support   to the (Approx) 16 thousands   people living in Sussex with epilepsy and their families.

Volunteer for us at events / bucket collections /  plus you will receive a one off EpilepsySussex badge ,                 exclusively for you this is the only way to get one.

You can help in many ways  either by donating or fundraising as well to obtain a badge

amazon smile banner large.jpg
PayPal ButtonPayPal Button

By paypal:  EpilepsySussex

By cheque: made payable  to   Epilepsy Sussex  

Epilepsy Sussex

Shop & raise free donations for Epilepsy Sussex

Supporters of Epilepsy Sussex can raise free donations simply by shopping online using Give as you Live. Shop at over 4,100 leading online stores including Amazon, eBay, Tesco, John Lewis, Sainsbury's, Just Eat and, to name but a few!

By Crowdfunding:

Fundraising Activities idea's

Tea or Coffee morning

Sell and donate

Car boot sale

Dog walking

Kissing booth

Quiz night





Swear box


Donating to Charity Online

The work carried out by charities and voluntary organisations is invaluable to society, helping people in the greatest need both in the United Kingdom and abroad. Charities rely on donations from the general public and businesses to carry out their work, especially in tough economic times. Most collections and appeals are authentic and legitimate, but unfortunately fraudsters can exploit people’s charitable nature and steal money which the donor thinks is going the help the charity. One of the most common ways of doing this is online. Do not stop donating money to the good cause of your choice. Instead, take a few simple precautions to protect yourself – and your chosen charity – against online fraud


The Risks

Get started...

  • Know how to spot scam emails and fake websites.

  • Always type in the charity’s website address yourself.

  • Check that the website is secure before donating or revealing your personal details.

Donating Safely

To ensure you are donating safely:

  • Visit the charity’s own website by typing the website address into the browser yourself, rather than clicking on a hyperlink embedded in an email. Check the web address online with the relevant charity regulator or by calling the charity itself.

  • Before you donate any money, check that the website you are on is secure. There should be a padlock symbol in the browserwindow frame, which appears when you attempt to log in or register. Be sure that the padlock is not on the page itself – this is a sign that the site could be  fraudulent.. The web address should begin with ‘https://’. The ‘s’ stands for ‘secure’.

  • If you receive unsolicited emails from charities you have never heard of or have no association with, do not respond and do not click on links contained in them. Report them to Action Fraud and then delete them.

  • Do not respond to requests to donate through a money transfer company such as Western Union or MoneyGram, as this is a tactic commonly used in scams.

  • Ensure that the charity is genuine before divulging personal details, or debit/credit card or online banking information. The Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode and American Express SafeKey schemes all offer additional safeguards for debit/credit card payments.

  • You could consider supporting individual fundraisers by donating through websites such as JustGiving, Virgin Money Giving and MyDonate.

  • When supporting disaster relief abroad, you could consider donating via the Disasters Emergency Committee website.

  • If you are still in any doubt, a legitimate charity will happily advise you on other ways to give on their website or via a phone call.

  • If you think you may have given your account details to an impostor or bogus charity, contact your bank immediately.

To check the authenticity of a registered charity, visit the online register of your national charity regulator:

Charity Commission for England and Wales

In England and Wales, most charities with an annual income of £5,000 or more must be registered with the Commission. The Commission maintains an online register.

Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator

In Scotland, all charities must be registered and an online register of charities is maintained by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR).

Charity Commission for Northern Ireland

In Northern Ireland, charities are not yet registered, but the Charity Commission for Northern Ireland does maintain an online list of organisations deemed to be charities because they are registered with HMRC for tax purposes. This list is not exhaustive. Registration is due to commence in 2013.

You may also wish to check whether a charity belongs to the self regulator for fundraising in the UK, the Fundraising Standards Board (FRSB)

If you think you have been a victim of fraud: 

Report it to Action Fraud, the UK’s national fraud reporting centre by calling 0300 123 20 40 or by visitng If you are in Scotland, contact Police Scotland on 101.

Street Collecting: What Are the Rules?
(27 Feb 17)
Street Collection Council Street
Street collecting is amongst the most important of the tools in a charity’s arsenal. Pounding the streets with a collection bucket might not sound like the most enticing way to spend a day, but it can do wonders for your financial situation – and, more importantly, for public awareness of your charity.

Street collections are perhaps the quickest way of improving knowledge or awareness about your charity amongst the local population. But, while the government recognises that this is a vital activity for many charitable organisations, it also understands that it must be regulated in order to ensure that collections run smoothly and the public can go about its business without hindrance. As a result, there are strict laws on street collections to which you must adhere.

Getting a permit
A street collection permit is required if you wish to collect money or sell anything for the benefit of a charity. This applies across England and Wales. You must apply for the permit through the relevant local council; you will be able to find forms on their website.

Procedures vary from council to council, with more arduous requirements in place in areas that are particularly popular with collectors. Although time scales for granting a permit will also vary, you should ensure that you give at least a full calendar month’s notice where possible.

General rules
Once you have a permit, you will have to abide by a further set of rules when you start collecting. Again, these vary from council to council, but there are several regulations that apply in most areas.
To begin with, all collectors must be at least 16 years old unless the collection is part of a procession. In these cases collectors can be as young as 14, but must be accompanied by an adult if they are younger than 16.

You must ensure that you do not obstruct the public, or cause them any other annoyance or danger. Collectors must stand at least 25 metres apart from each other, and should remain stationary unless part of a procession.

Any collecting buckets or tins must be sealed, and should clearly display the name of the charity or fund. You may not shake collecting tins. You should also ensure that each group of collectors has a signed letter of authority from a designated Chief Promoter, ready for inspection by the police or a council official. In some areas you will be required to carry a badge bearing the logo of the council, showing that the collection has been authorised.

Direct debit collections
The practice of direct debit collections has grown in popularity, and it has recently been more stringently regulated.
Depending on the area, a licence may or may not be required for this type of collection. In some areas only members of the Public Fundraising Regulatory Authority are permitted to collect direct debit collections. If you wish to do this, you should either contact the relevant local council for more information, or contract with a professional fundraiser.

The rules regarding street collections can be confusing, but it is vital that you keep on the right side of the law. Contact the licensing department of your local council if you are in any doubt

bottom of page